Holiday Hustle 2017
Win $$ for working out! This challenge motivates you to stay moving in December instead of waiting for those short-lived New Year’s Resolutions that rely on will power instead of habit and skill. Practice making exercise a part of your life even when you’re super busy. That skill will carry over and consistency over time is the single most effective way to see results.
To earn points, you’ll simply:
- Post your “sweaty selfie” to a private Facebook group each time you workout. 8+ minutes count, but only 1 short workout (under 30 minutes) per day). Actual sweat not required though encouraged, but you must at least breathe harder and get heated up from the workout.
- Indicate whether you included any resistance training or intense intervals (earns a bonus point)
- A few fun challenges like 100 pushups in a day, 5 total minutes of planking, 100 squats in a day, etc. (NOTE: these can be done at any level (knee or wall pushups, knee planks, etc) and as spread out through the day as you’d like!)
- 12 instructional exercise videos included (posted to the private Facebook group), showing proper form and technique for different exercises and stretches (especially those in the bonus challenges)
M.E.S.H. Month Challenge 2017
30 Days: Oct 7 – Nov 5
M.E.S.H. stands for Move, Eat, Sleep, Hydrate. As we focus on these 4 cornerstones of health for 30 days, you’ll hopefully develop some new healthy habits!
- Sweaty Selfies: Whenever you workout enough to either glisten, sweat, heat up, or breathe harder, track how many minutes you spent, including stretching time, and snap your Sweaty Selfie to share with the group (via a closed Facebook group you’ll be added to).
- Colorful Closeups: Show us those awesome, colorful, healthy veggies! Preparing your whole, visually pleasing, varied plate of food before eating sends signals to your brain that you are about to be fully satisfied. This works wonders over grab and go eating, on your satiety and appetite hormone regulation.VEGGIES count as along as there’s …
- a FULL handful included per meal
- fat and/or protein in the same meal
- fruit can be added as long as it’s less than 1/2 your handful (won’t count without being outweighed by the veggies)
- Sleepy Snapshots: Take a screen shot of your phone to note the time when your lights are out and again when you wake up. If you got 7.5+ hours of UNINTERRUPTED sleep (no screens in the middle of the night), you earn a point!
- HYDRATE: No pics needed here, but keep track of the color of your urine and if it remains light yellow to almost clear, you’ve kept yourself hydrated and will earn a point!
Finish 3 or more servings/cups of the following and earn another point! Water, Sparkling water without sweeteners (real or artificial, Coffee, Tea, Milks
- BONUS POINTS: Whole Grains (2 servings/day), Resistance Training and/or High Intensity Interval Training (at least 8 minutes; or 20+ minutes for additional point)
$30 to join. Paypal firstname.lastname@example.org or Venmo @melzafit
You’ll answer this survey (http://mesh.melzafit.com) daily to earn your points.
Top 6 will win 63% of the pot (1st: 18%, 2nd: 15%, 3rd: 12%, 4th: 9%, 5th: 6%, 6th: 3%)
(further information about bonus points and other details are listed in the survey)
Holiday Hustle 2016
This 1-month incentive program to keep moving during the month of December was immensely motivating! It really helped people see that they could indeed fit in some exercise (as little as 5 minutes counted!) during even the busiest month of the year! Participants simply posted their “sweaty selfie” to our private Facebook group and earned points. The top 5 won money based on a percentage of the total collected. I’ll repeat this fun, motivating program every holiday season!
M.E. Challenge 2017
This 3-month program is designed to build on healthy habits around exercise and nutrition. It started off with simply posting “sweaty selfies” for workouts and “colorful closeups” for eating your veggies/fruits, all to a private Facebook group. As the program moved along, bonus point options were added such as adding whole grains, doing resistance training or high intensity intervals, eating whole grains after workouts, getting longer workouts, and getting at least 1 workout and veggie meal/day. I personally joined in the fun even though I wouldn’t be eligible to win and lost 7 lbs! The accountability and competition to keep up with with the top 6 worked wonders and I actually find myself craving veggies – seriously! – and find that buying, chopping, and using veggies (before they go bad!) to be way less daunting and much more of a habit than before.
Upcoming Challenges, Programs, & Incentives
Walk It Off Nutrition Coaching
This program will be for those starting from the beginning, whether you’ve never paid attention to exercise and nutritious eating or you used to but have gotten farther off course than you wanted. It will consist of a weekly group walk (with your homework being 2 additional walks through the week), slowly adding resistance work into the walks over time, and always stretching at the end. There will also be a step-by-step approach to adding healthy nutrition skills, taught and discussed during the walks, and practiced with check-ins for accountability throughout the week. It’s basically nutrition coaching while you move with additional accountability online between sessions. Though you would need to be local to join the walks, non-locals can still participate, taking equivalent walks on theirs (or better yet, with other locals) and listening to audio of the nutrition coaching discussions.