Summer Slim Down 2018
4 weeks to kickstart weight loss for the summer and for those ready to …
- get off the diet roller coaster
- lose weight without stress or feeling deprived
- get rid of food confusion
- gain mental & physical confidence
Saturdays, Wednesdays, or both for 45-60 min: time TBD by majority availability
(those not available can receive written versions if doing the full program)
Why Diets Don’t Work But Seem Like They Do: Metabolism Explained
You know how trying a new diet drops the pounds off like nobody’s business? Have any in mind that worked wonders for you? But if they work so well, why do they need to be done again? Because you lack motivation and will-power? That couldn’t be more wrong! Your habits, environment, thoughts, and most importantly hormones drive every nuance of how you behave with food. The same cookie will smell much better and seem more appetizing the more hungry you are. It’s not your will-power, it’s literally your hormones making you die for that cookie (cue “giving in”, “feeling guilty”, “falling off your diet”, and “needing to start again on Monday”). That’s the trap of the diet mindset. By slowly building new habits & thoughts, your hormones will begin driving you toward healthy actions instead.
Easy Portion Estimating & Feel Good Meals
Using different parts of your hand to estimate adequate portions of veggies, protein, fat, & grains is super easy! Learn why getting all these components into a meal makes a world of difference in how our bodies can regulate metabolism and therefor weight, not to mention mood, mental sharpness, cravings, and even the desire to move more. It’s an upward spiral that takes time, practice, and patience. There’s no such thing as screwing up and needing to restart. Every decision is a learning process for your life. In the meantime though, it sure will be hard not to lose weight when we put our main focus on getting the good stuff in. “Veggies, GET IN MY BELLY!”
Strategies For Staying Successful
Let’s talk about real, actionable steps you can take to make your environment, mindset, and kitchen skills translate into healthier choices more easily, without it feeling like a chore or a diet. I’ll share plenty of ideas and would also love to hear any successful ideas you’ve found as well!
Guidance, Accountability, & Points
- Easy guidelines on what to strive for with exercise, nutrition, sleep, and hydration
- Points toward 100% compliance by posting to private Facebook group or via text
- Post a Sweaty Selfie each time you exercise & a Colorful Closeup each time you have a “feel good meal”
- Post if you’ve met your hydration goal for the day and/or slept at least 7.5 hours
- Percentage toward max points will determine your cash back level
- Watch your compliance bar grow on the shared Google sheet
- Occasional treats are ok, even encouraged, and do not reduce your points! This is NOT a diet, it’s real life and you CAN lose weight & increase energy even when you
indulge in some goodies along the way.
CA$H Prizes – Multiple Winners Possible!
70% compliance = $5
80% compliance = $15
90% compliance = $30
100% compliance = $50
Best Relative Results (% change) = $25
Some consolation prizes along the way… TBD
Bonus Exercise Videos (10-15 minutes each, no equipment needed!)
2 short videos will be released when the program starts, with beginner & intermediate options, as an extra way to get your move on no matter what!
HIIT Strength Burn
Intervals of cardio and strength to both increase stamina and strengthen joints and muscles for improved energy levels and fat burning.
Prep Time (May 6-10)
- Habit awareness & eating behavior online worksheets
- Initial weight, measurements, & before pics (guide provided to complete on own)*
- Schedule the Walk-n-Talks, Receive bonus exercise videos
* In-person measurements (before & after), including body fat calipers if desired ($20)
Week 1 (May 11-17)
- Start posting your Colorful Closeups, Sweaty Selfies, and hydration & sleep info
- FOCUS = eating slowly & noticing your thoughts before & after eating
- May 12 & 16 Walk-n-Talk: Why Diets Don’t Work But Seem Like They Do: Metabolism Explained
Week 2 (May 18-24)
- FOCUS = eating to satisfaction & finding whole food sources for cravings
- May 19 & 23 Walk-n-Talk: Easy Portion Estimating & Feel Good Meals
Week 3 (May 25-31)
- FOCUS = finding what leads to healthier eating & more movement for you
- May 26 & 30 Walk-n-Talk: Strategies For Staying Successful
Week 4 (Jun 1-7)
- Final Week .. feelings of confidence and capability are hopefully taking over, it should be feeling easier to make healthier choices by now
- FOCUS = continue to practice making better choices instead of only best or nothing
- Weigh, measure, & progress pics (guide provided unless in-person appt scheduled)
- Winner announcements and cash prize distribution!
Whole Program: $99
All but the Walk-n-Talks: $49
Walk-n-Talks only: $20 each or all 3 for $54
In-Person Weight, Measurements, Pics, & Body Fat: $20
PayPal firstname.lastname@example.org or Venmo @melzafit to register by Mon, May 7, 11:59 PST
After The Program .. stay motivated and accountable with my new public Facebook group, “Feel Good Meals” (starting Jun 8). Simply continue to share Colorful Closeups of your meals and snacks (and see great ideas and inspiration from others). The continued accountability will help motivate you to slow down, think through all the components of a meal, add it to your colorful, appetizing plate (a big part of overall satisfaction), proudly snap a pic, and enjoy it slowly. Will it always be that perfect? Of course not. When it’s not, you’ll simply focus on fullness cues and remain guilt-free about your choices. The more time spent on these habits, the easier they will become!
Holiday Hustle 2017
Win $$ for working out! This challenge motivates you to stay moving in December instead of waiting for those short-lived New Year’s Resolutions that rely on will power instead of habit and skill. Practice making exercise a part of your life even when you’re super busy. That skill will carry over and consistency over time is the single most effective way to see results.
To earn points, you’ll simply:
- Post your “sweaty selfie” to a private Facebook group each time you workout. 8+ minutes count, but only 1 short workout (under 30 minutes) per day). Actual sweat not required though encouraged, but you must at least breathe harder and get heated up from the workout.
- Indicate whether you included any resistance training or intense intervals (earns a bonus point)
- A few fun challenges like 100 pushups in a day, 5 total minutes of planking, 100 squats in a day, etc. (NOTE: these can be done at any level (knee or wall pushups, knee planks, etc) and as spread out through the day as you’d like!)
- 12 instructional exercise videos included (posted to the private Facebook group), showing proper form and technique for different exercises and stretches (especially those in the bonus challenges)
M.E.S.H. Month Challenge 2017
30 Days: Oct 7 – Nov 5
M.E.S.H. stands for Move, Eat, Sleep, Hydrate. As we focus on these 4 cornerstones of health for 30 days, you’ll hopefully develop some new healthy habits!
- Sweaty Selfies: Whenever you workout enough to either glisten, sweat, heat up, or breathe harder, track how many minutes you spent, including stretching time, and snap your Sweaty Selfie to share with the group (via a closed Facebook group you’ll be added to).
- Colorful Closeups: Show us those awesome, colorful, healthy veggies! Preparing your whole, visually pleasing, varied plate of food before eating sends signals to your brain that you are about to be fully satisfied. This works wonders over grab and go eating, on your satiety and appetite hormone regulation.VEGGIES count as along as there’s …
- a FULL handful included per meal
- fat and/or protein in the same meal
- fruit can be added as long as it’s less than 1/2 your handful (won’t count without being outweighed by the veggies)
- Sleepy Snapshots: Take a screen shot of your phone to note the time when your lights are out and again when you wake up. If you got 7.5+ hours of UNINTERRUPTED sleep (no screens in the middle of the night), you earn a point!
- HYDRATE: No pics needed here, but keep track of the color of your urine and if it remains light yellow to almost clear, you’ve kept yourself hydrated and will earn a point!
Finish 3 or more servings/cups of the following and earn another point! Water, Sparkling water without sweeteners (real or artificial, Coffee, Tea, Milks
- BONUS POINTS: Whole Grains (2 servings/day), Resistance Training and/or High Intensity Interval Training (at least 8 minutes; or 20+ minutes for additional point)
$30 to join. Paypal email@example.com or Venmo @melzafit
You’ll answer this survey (http://mesh.melzafit.com) daily to earn your points.
Top 6 will win 63% of the pot (1st: 18%, 2nd: 15%, 3rd: 12%, 4th: 9%, 5th: 6%, 6th: 3%)
(further information about bonus points and other details are listed in the survey)
Holiday Hustle 2016
This 1-month incentive program to keep moving during the month of December was immensely motivating! It really helped people see that they could indeed fit in some exercise (as little as 5 minutes counted!) during even the busiest month of the year! Participants simply posted their “sweaty selfie” to our private Facebook group and earned points. The top 5 won money based on a percentage of the total collected. I’ll repeat this fun, motivating program every holiday season!
M.E. Challenge 2017
This 3-month program is designed to build on healthy habits around exercise and nutrition. It started off with simply posting “sweaty selfies” for workouts and “colorful closeups” for eating your veggies/fruits, all to a private Facebook group. As the program moved along, bonus point options were added such as adding whole grains, doing resistance training or high intensity intervals, eating whole grains after workouts, getting longer workouts, and getting at least 1 workout and veggie meal/day. I personally joined in the fun even though I wouldn’t be eligible to win and lost 7 lbs! The accountability and competition to keep up with with the top 6 worked wonders and I actually find myself craving veggies – seriously! – and find that buying, chopping, and using veggies (before they go bad!) to be way less daunting and much more of a habit than before.
Upcoming Challenges, Programs, & Incentives
Walk It Off Nutrition Coaching
This program will be for those starting from the beginning, whether you’ve never paid attention to exercise and nutritious eating or you used to but have gotten farther off course than you wanted. It will consist of a weekly group walk (with your homework being 2 additional walks through the week), slowly adding resistance work into the walks over time, and always stretching at the end. There will also be a step-by-step approach to adding healthy nutrition skills, taught and discussed during the walks, and practiced with check-ins for accountability throughout the week. It’s basically nutrition coaching while you move with additional accountability online between sessions. Though you would need to be local to join the walks, non-locals can still participate, taking equivalent walks on theirs (or better yet, with other locals) and listening to audio of the nutrition coaching discussions.